Implement BlockDeviceMappings for AWS::EC2::Instance
Include the URL of your launchpad blueprint:
We should support the BlockDeviceMappings for AWS::EC2::Instance resource
to be compatible with AWSCloudFormation.
Now in Heat, the AWS::EC2::Instance resource only has ‘Volumes’ property to
indicate the volumes to be attached, but there are two ways defining volumes
in AWSCloudFormation, ‘Volumes’ and ‘BlockDeviceMappings’, see:
- ‘Volumes’ support the ‘volume_id’, user can specify the volume to be
attached to the instance. This way has been implemented in Heat, but
it’s not a good way for batch creation because one volume can’t be attached
to many instances.
- ‘BlockDeviceMappings’ support the ‘snapshot_id’, user can specify
a snapshot, then a volume will be created from the snapshot, and the volume
will be attached to the instance. This way is a good way for batch creation.
Nova supports to create a server with a block device mapping:
So, we should support the ‘BlockDeviceMappings’ for AWS::EC2::Instance
- Add ‘BlockDeviceMappings’ property for AWS::EC2::Instance resource,
specially in which user can specify the ‘snapshot_id’.
- Primary assignee:
- Target Milestone for completion:
- Support the BlockDeviceMappings for AWS::EC2::Instance resource
- Add UT/Tempest for the change
- Add a template for AWS::EC2::Instance with BlockDeviceMappings