Architecture Design Guide Restructure¶
The current Architecture Design Guide is primarily organized by use case resulting in duplication of cloud architecture concepts.
The proposal is to revise the content structure to refine use cases to the most common OpenStack deployments, and create an abstraction between cloud architecture concepts and various OpenStack projects. This will make it easier to maintain the guide.
The proposed structure of the guide is to first describe common cloud use cases, then general architectural concepts, followed by cloud architecture design with a detailed breakdown of the major cloud components.
Proposed table of contents¶
The proposed structure for the updated Architecture Design Guide is as follows:
- Development cloud
- General compute cloud
- Web scale cloud
- Storage cloud
- Network Function Virtualization (NFV) cloud
Business requirements for implementing HA, what components in the control plane need to be HA and why.
Capacity planning and scaling
- Adding cloud controller nodes
- Segregating your cloud
- Scalable hardware
Implementation of the compute platform including hypervisors, nova, and ironic.
Storage choices and the implementation of projects such as cinder and manila.
Networking design choices such as SDN, LBaaS, and neutron.
Authentication, authorization, and assignment at all levels for keystone and related projects.
Management, creation, distribution, and deployment of images for glance and related projects.
General implementation of the OpenStack control components and the decision making that goes into the choices that need to be made.
Dashboard and APIs
Interaction with cloud services using a graphical interface or the OpenStack APIs. This would include horizon and other Cloud Management Platform (CMP) tools.
The Use cases chapter will document the five most common OpenStack use cases. It will describe the scope and requirements, which will be a precursor for reference architecture information.
Leave the guide as is.
- Primary assignee:
- Other contributors:
- Remove the current Architecture Design Guide from docs.openstack.org, and publish the draft Architecture Design Guide in its current state to to increase visibility.
- Temporarily archive the current Architecture Design Guide in a directory until the docs archiving process <https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/pike/archiving.html> is implemented.
- Remove the Architecture chapter from the Operations Guide since the content has been migrated to the draft Architecture Design Guide.
.htaccesswith redirects for removed/changed URLs.
- Complete writing the storage and networking sections in the Design chapter, followed by the remaining sections.
- For each task, submit a bug report.
- Develop a use case content template to be applied to the Use Cases chapter.
Contributions and input from SMEs.
Testing will follow the standard documentation review process.