OpenStack is made of many projects, with a complex mash of technologies. Training-labs will provide an automated way of deploying a multi node OpenStack cluster on a lean basis. Labs scripts should provide an easy way to setup OpenStack cluster which should be a good starting point for beginners to learn OpenStack, and for advanced users to test out new features, check out different capabilities of OpenStack. On top of that training-labs will also be a good way to test the install guides on a regular basis and provide automation for those who would like to focus on installing just one section from install-guides.
Deploying OpenStack could be really challenging for beginners. Training-labs would provide a simple automated way to have a multi-node vanilla OpenStack deployment on virtual machines. The following are the unique traits:
- Easy to setup and run.
- Minimal dependencies.
- Minimal hardware requirements:
- 4GB RAM
- i3 processor (or similar quad core processor)
- 50GB hard disk space.
- Supports multiple platforms:
- Closely follows and automates install-guides.
- Optionally follow guides under Openrations and Administration Gudies. * Example: Load Balancer as a Service.
- The work will be carried out by training-labs speciality team.
- Creation of new repository.
- Migrating labs folder under training-guides to the new repository:
- Setup a new github repository for migration. using git-filter on the labs section of training guides.
- Propose a new repository in OpenStack and import content from github repository.
- Update training guides repository as required.
- Migrate labs folder from training-guides to the new repository location:
- Using git-filter get the labs specific content from training-guides repository.
- Move it to a github repository.
- Create training-labs repository, pull the content from the github repository.
- Refactor the repository structure to include new architecture.
- Other misc items like IRC notifications, gerrit related configuration.
- Remove labs section from training guides.
- Remove labs related jobs from training guides.
- Add bash and python syntax checks.
- Create required infra jobs for training-labs.