Partition image support for agent driver
This blueprint suggests to enhance agent driver to support deploy partition
images with subsequent boot to happen over pxe or vmedia as specified by
As of now agent driver support only whole disk images that can be deployed on
the baremetal. With disk image based deploy, the subsequent boot will happen
from the local hard drive. Ironic does not have control over the subsequent
boots of the provisioned baremetal node.
- Agent driver validate the specified image type is of partition image(raw) by
looking for kernel_id and ramdisk_id image properties.
- Send partition information(root, swap, etc) to the agent ramdisk through
- Upon receiving the partition information, agent ramdisk will work on the
given os_install disk and copy the partition image in the root partition.
- Agent ramdisk sends back the root_uuid to the agent driver on the
- Post deploy, agent driver prepares the config for subsequent boot, either
using pxe or vmedia as defined by the driver. Both agent_ipmitool and
agent_ilo driver should support deploy with parition images.
- Factor out the partitioning code from ironic into a different library
and use it in both IPA and ironic code base.
We can use iscsi method to write partition image on to the target disk.
We need agent ramdisk to support iscsi, similar to the ironic DIB element.
State Machine Impact
Client (CLI) impact
Other end user impact
Ability to deploy partition images on nodes managed by the agent.
Other deployer impact
- Primary assignee:
- Other contributors:
- Factor out the partitioning code from ironic into a common library
for both IPA and ironic code base.
- Move the disk partition code from ironic/common to an oslo incubator
project as oslo.libironic
- Some common disk related functions from
- Related test cases.
- Use oslo.libironic in IPA
- Make necessary changes in agent driver common code, such as validate,
- Make necessary changes in agent_ipmitool driver to generate correct
pxe config for subsequent reboot.
- Make necessary changes in agent_ilo driver to generate iso for subsequent
- Make changes in IPA (agent ramdisk) to recognize the incoming image
information and take appropriate action to deploy partition image on the
- Unit testing with partition images with agent_ilo and agent_ipmitool drivers.
- Add specific agent driver test cases with partition images in
Upgrades and Backwards Compatibility
- Make changes to ironic install guide.