DRAC Power Driver for Ironic
The proposal presents the work required to add support for power management
features for Dell Remote Access Controller in Ironic.
Dell Remote Access Controller is an interface card from Dell offering a remote
system management. This proposal adds the power management capabilities for
Adding a new DracDriver to the list of available drivers in Ironic and
implementing the DracPower module to interact with WS-Management API “(WS-Man)”
described in the DCIM Base Server and Physical Asset Profile using the
python binding of the OpenWSMAN library.
There are other ways to interact with WS-Management endpoints but they are
wrappers around OpenWSMAN command-line client. These are:
Admin credentials will be stored unencrypted in the DB and they will be visible
in the driver_info field of the node when a node-show is issued.
Other end user impact
- The following driver_info fields are required:
- drac_host: hostname or IP of the WS-Man endpoint
- drac_port: port of the WS-Man endpoint (default value is 443, assuming the
user configured the endpoint in secure mode)
- drac_path: path of the WS-Man endpoint (default value is ‘/wsman’)
- drac_protocol: protocol of the WS-Man endpoint (default value is ‘https’,
assuming the user configured the endpoint in secure mode)
- drac_username: username for the WS-Man endpoint
- drac_password: password for the WS-Man endpoint
Other deployer impact
- Primary assignee:
- Other contributors:
- Add DracDriver
- Implement DracPower module for the DracDriver
- This feature depends on the python binding of the OpenWSMAN library. It’s
released under a simplified BSD licence and is available as a supported
package in Ubuntu and Red Hat repositories.
- This feature requires 11th or 12th generation of Dell PowerEdge servers.
- Unit tests
- 3rd-party CI: we would like to do it for this driver, but do not have
sufficient hardware available at this time.
The required driver_info properties need be included in the documentation to
instruct operators how to use Ironic with DRAC.