Configure openstack services with docker support
Include the URL of your launchpad blueprint:
The Docker driver is a hypervisor driver for OpenStack Nova Compute. It was introduced with the Havana release.
Docker is an open-source engine which automates the deployment of applications as highly portable, self-sufficient
containers which are independent of hardware, language, framework, packaging system and hosting provider.
This new change proposed will enable deployment and configuration of nova-docker driver, glance repo configuration
and any needed config to support seemless managment of docker nodes in openstack cloud.
- Currently, openstack-compute does not support nova-docker driver
- Currently, openstack-image does not support docker container formats
for images which includes docker and dockerref
- [OPENSTACK_DOCKER_COOKBOOK_OLD] is an available
option which is not maintained for last 2 years and it has embedded
2 years old driver.
Add support in openstack-compute cookbook to configure [NOVA_DOCKER_DRIVER].
Current support will be to download the nova docker driver from git repo and configure.
Also change openstack-image to support container formats for docker images
which includes docker and dockerref
Other end user impact
Other deployer impact
- Primary assignee:
- Other contributors:
- Add new attributes to openstack-compute
- Change openstack-compute / nova.conf.erb template for including nova-docker driver
- Add new recipe for docker configuration in openstack-compute
- Change compute.rb recipe in openstack-compute to include the new recipe based on configuration
- Add the unit tests.
- Change openstack-image and add new container formats in attributes
- In order to configure nova-docker driver - compute nodes should be pre installed with
docker runtime. Users can opt to use cookbook [CHEF_DOCKER]
In case above cookbook does not support the OS where compute is getting configured
use doucmentation which is available at [DOCKER_RUNTIME_INSTALLATION].
- This depends on Nova Docker driver [NOVA_DOCKER_DRIVER].
Currently a git clone of above source in .zip format is required to complete nova configuration
- Add unit tests for the recipes.
- For function and CI integration test, at least one node with OpenStack
all-in-one deployment is recommended.
- In order to configure a compute node as docker compute(while testing using openstack-chef-repo)
override the attribute to true using environment which indicates whether a node is docker type or not
- Prior to testing, install docker runtime to all compute nodes. Refer Dependencies for more details
- Change README.md. in openstack-compute
Possible Future Enhancements
Change openstack-telemetry cookbook to support monitoring of docker computes